Nov 20, 2014

Code Breaker

You're probably going to laugh at this post, but I just started watching season two of The Bletchley Circle and was suddenly struck by how much the current project I'm knitting is like reading code.  If you're a TBC fan, you may recall that in the opening scene of season one, Susan is reading a knitting pattern while clicking away on her needles.  Of course, that's a hint at her secret past of being a code breaker during WWII.  



As I'm trying really hard to knit down my stash, I pulled out my one skein of The Fibre Company's Road to China in the malachite colorway, my US3 dpns, and cast on for a pair of Nalu fingerless mitts. I'm in the mood for a small'ish project with some teeth to it ~ you know, a bit of chart reading, some simple stockinette, and a thumb turn to add interest.  I started this project at the same time that I began watching season two of TBC and when I got past the cuff ribbing and started on the cable chart, I couldn't help but notice the similarity of me and the Bletchley girls.  Okay, I admit it ... being a code breaker would be one of my dream jobs!  Yeah, I'm that kind of geek.

15 comments:

  1. Love the color, those are going to be some pretty mitts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia. This yarn is like buttered kittens and the color is much deeper in real life!

      Delete
  2. Definitely feel like I'm reading a code when I work on charted projects…especially when juggles look over your shoulder and have no idea what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am giggling - only because I watched series 2 of TBC last week!! All 4 episodes in one day. Just couldn't stop :-) I wish there were more episodes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost did the same but forced myself to leave the fourth episode for the next night so to make the season last longer! ; )

      Delete
  4. Wow, your mitts in that yarn are gorgeous! I just might have to acquire some Road to China... And I LOVE The Bletchley Circle - it's probably my favorite of all of the British television shows. I think super-intelligent women are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That colorway reminds me antiques found in an archaeology dig in China. What a neat show you watch. I will have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must be some cosmic correlation between knitting and certain TV shows - Bletchley Circle is one of my faves too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a huge fan of TBC. I think I may actually like Season II better, as it eliminates much of Susans general malaise that sort of depressed me.

    It's funny you're talking about cracking code today, because today a few of us at work were for fun working out a kid's homework problem.

    Getting the pattern to work and getting the code to work as well as breaking it are all very satisfying to me too. Results!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those mitts look like they will come very much in handy with all that snow you seem to be having! Lovely pattern. Knitting is our own special code I think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the mitts already! I am with you Evelyn, as I too am geeky enough to want to be a code breaker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful color choice and pattern. TBC sounds like an interesting show. Will have to see if I can get it on Amazon. I can just picture you as a code breaker with knitting needles at the ready for any contingency!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only caught a couple episodes of the first season...but I like the show...and I have some of that yarn..got it at Flying Fingers in Tarrytown, NY...I'm coming into the city the day after Thanksgiving and will probably hit up some yarn shops..

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful! Good luck on destashing! =)

    ReplyDelete