Jan 29, 2014

WIP: Flax Pullover (Part II)


In my last post, I called my hubby's Flax pullover a finished object because at one point in late December, it was ... well ... finished. The ends were woven in, it was soaked and blocked, wrapped in pretty paper, and placed under the tree.  Mark loved his new sweater and wore it immediately.  At first, I was so pleased that it fit him ~ the shoulders were spot on, the width was not too snug nor too loose, and the sleeves hit just below his wrists perfectly.  Yeah, I was pretty pleased with myself. That is, until he sat down and the sweater rode up a few inches above his stomach.  He spent most of Christmas day tugging to keep the bottom ribbing from riding up above his waist line.

So, today I'm calling Mark's Flax pullover a work-in-progress because I promised to frog back to before the 2-inch two-by-two ribbing and add about four inches to the body's length. Yes, I took accurate measurements of Mark's body, and yes, I knew I needed to knit to 17 inches from underarm to hip before starting the ribbing, but when I was nearing 15 inches of body, it looked long enough and so I decided to end the sweater there. I know, I know ~ what was I thinking??

Accurate measurements are done for one very simple reason ~ to get a properly fitted garment ~ and as someone who is spending oodles of time, energy, and money on making such garments, you'd think I would treat those measurements like gospel!  I've learned my lesson.

Now, as I was facing having to pick up hundreds of stitches to knit the additonal inches to the bottom of the sweater, I decided to try a little trick.  Rather than frog the ribbing and pick up those very risky live stitches, I put my needle into the stitches just above the start of the ribbing and threaded the entire circular needle along one entire round.  Once that round was securely on the cable, I unraveled the two inches of ribbing until I reached the needles. No drop stitches and no eye strain!

Let's hope knitting the additional few inches goes quickly because I've got some other projects I'm itching to cast on.

13 comments:

  1. Great tip! Hope you can finish it without any trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oopsies, LOL! For some reason I can't view your photo on my phone right now. I'll look again later. Glad though this little bump is fixable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I are on the exact same page... I am about to do this to some socks !!! Splitting and filling in and grafting to the other edge... the only way to go, a skill which will be a feather in our cap ! We can now go and 'lengthen things once we get this down.... what a concept !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On second read, I see you are not doing what I assumed (so sorry) lol.
      I think what you're doing makes more sense than 'cutting in two, knitting extra length, then grafting ' . I don't mean to hijack the comments here , but what I'm thinking as the other option, I could accomplish the same thing with no ripping. Simply put a needle into another round, maybe 3 up, then 'cut' the round out of the middle, and unravel back to each needle. Pick up stitches from the one and knit the added length, then graft to the stitches all ready on the needle. Though grafting must be immaculate then. Naw... I think your way is the safest way to go !

      Delete
    2. Last word on the two methods... is your method only has one end to weave in, whereas the grafting-in method has two. Yours is best. :)

      Delete
    3. I loved seeing your thought process here. It was pretty painless to thread my needle through that row & unraveling the ribbing won't take much time at all. I'll report back on how this method worked & we can compare notes again.

      Delete
  4. I am sure you felt a tad deflated at the length, but look at all the amazing bits that were spot on. You are amazing and is that pullover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envisioned you watching your husband tugging at his sweater, and felt your twitches. Really brilliant idea to thread the stitches before the ribbing before frogging. (personally, i'd still find a way to screw it up.) so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent solution, and your patience and willingness to fix the length issue properly is admirable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nifty trick with that needle.

    I once eyeballed sleeve length on my daughter's sweater because I couldn't find my tape measure ... let's just say, never again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very intersting solution to the frogging problem. I'll tuck that knowledgevaway for future use

    ReplyDelete